Tuesday 29 May 2012

Book of the Month Club - May 2012 - TRIGUN!

Since March of 2009, myself and a group of like minded comic enthusiasts have been meeting each month to discuss a book that has been picked by a member of the club to be read that month. We have read and discussed a variety of titles including; Watchmen, Preacher, Daredevil - Guardian Devil, Superman - Red Son, Judge Death - Boyhood of a Superfiend, Bakuman, A Right to be Hostile, GI Joe vol 1 and Neverwhere.
I would like to invite you all to join us, either physically each month if you live in the Kettering area and can attend the meetings, or virtually via this blog by reading the chosen book and voicing your opinions in our comments section. Each month I will post our thoughts on the pick as well as posting the name of the next months book.

This months pick...



TRIGUN - by Yasuhiro Nightow

A futuristic Sci-Fi/Comedy/Western, Trigun follows the adventures of Vash the Stampede, a man accused of destroying a city and a large bounty on his head. Constantly under attack, Vash, the quickest draw on the dusty, desert planet setting, is also a pacifist, which leaves him with the dilemma of kill or be killed, even if he really doesn't want to kill anybody. He is accompanied by Meryl and Millie, two insurance company representatives that are determined to keep him from destroying too much property.

Our thoughts on the book...

Mario - I thought the premise of the book was good, but the delivery was lacking. It may have been down to the translation of the book, which seemed pretty terrible at times with confusing garbled sentences that seem to come out of nowhere. Also, the art was too busy in places and it was difficult to make out the scenes in many of the panels, especially the action sequences, which were often. We don't often read Manga for a book club pick and I don't think I would recommend this particular title over Ranma 1/2 or Deathnote, a couple of my personal favourites.  -  4/10

Frankie - I find one big problem with Manga, it just doesn't translate very well. The whole story may be cohesive as one big arc, but the panel to panel nitty gritty just doesn't flow. The art work is OK - I know they produce it at the speed of light - but it's just OK, not deeply engaging. Nice quirk that the lead is a pacifist, but Manga just seems to leave me underwhelmed. 7/10

Lainy - Wow! I thought it was shocking! Just awful. The entire story and all the dialogue was disjointed and hard work. The artwork is chaotic and indecipherable more than a few times. I actually had to force myself to read it.
The main character just seems to dip in and out with no explanation to who he is or what on earth (or any other planet) his purpose is. The same can be said for all the rest of the characters. The book just seemed to be about them trying to kill each other and failing. None of the characters had any depth and therefore weren't relateable or enjoyable for me.
The back story of the world was my only point of interest, and because it was only really lightly touched on through the book it was tough to follow. I'd give it a 2/10 and a waste of an afternoon.

Alex - The premise of the worlds most wanted criminal being a pacifist is brilliant, but the book doesn't really live up to it. The layouts and backgrounds look nice, though I wasn't a fan of the character art due to the style and I'm not a fan of the inconsistency of faces.
I wasn't really clear what was going on most of the time, at points I wasn't sure how something had happened. It would probably benefit from being in colour as it'd help you track the action better. I didn't read it all, so it might improve with going further. 6/10

Stephen - I've not read too much Manga. This is too fast paced for me. There is loads of action in what felt like a Western vibe, but I didn't feel for the characters. The art work is OK, but I can't really see any distinction between Manga art styles.
Basically, I couldn't follow the story, too much was going on. Though I read it in only 40 minutes, which is fast for a near 400 page book. 3/10

Lou - I love this series I think it's witty, funny and different. I love the interaction of the characters and the mystery that's surrounding them as you get to know a little about them a piece at a time. I also love the combination of science fiction and cowboys and the underlying sub-tones relating to poverty, war, violence, families, loss and personal journeys are glaringly obvious without being rammed down your throat.
I gave this book a 7/10 as although I like Manga and love this series I can't help but wish it were a graphic novel with more depth than can be gained from Manga. Although having said this I do also feel that this style of drawing suits Vash's personality. Another reason is that as the story progresses past the first volume I love it more so a good start with much more to give further on.

Lee - A deep emotional plot covered with comedy action and a scifi cowboy setting. Volume 1 is a rough introduction to a greater on going series. Many Manga suffer from slow starts and Trigun is no exception, leaving Vash the Stampede an unexplored character.
Though the start is stale and hard to get through, I highly recommend reading the whole of Trigun and Trigun Maximum. Once the series finds its pace and starts its journey you'll see its more than a funny space cowboy action comedy and begin to understand what makes life so precious to the main character and what it takes to be a pacifist with a gun. 8/10

So, those are the thoughts of some of our Book Club members. Why not think about joining us! Our next book to be read is SANDMAN vol 1 - PRELUDES & NOCTURNES, and the meeting will take place on the 18th of June (please message me for more details).

M X


No comments:

Post a Comment